Product Quality Engineer
Circa £40,000 - £50,000
Our client is a leading designer and manufacturer of fiber lasers for use in cutting, welding and marking applications in a wide range of industries. They sell their products globally and has its major business operations, including Research and Development, Manufacturing and Product Marketing located in both Rugby and Southampton, UK, with additional Sales and Customer Support locations in Asia and North America.
The business is a lean manufacturing organisation. The successful candidate will not only have access to a wide variety of training, tools/methods and support within a highly open and receptive organisation, but be expected to take a lead role in "Lean" training & deployment.
As a point of contact for Product Quality Improvement, this role will look to improve product quality; internally and with our customers. Reporting to the Product Quality Manager, this role will lead and drive Quality performance for the range of lasers at our Southampton facility, spanning functions such as quality, production and supply.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
• ‘Point of Contact’ for product quality performance in Southampton
• Communicate and lead investigation to field failure
• Analyse market failure and through utilising cross functional teams, implement measures to prevent future failure
• Liaise with Service and Product Owners to understand early failures
• Ensure appropriate levels of production quality controls and assurance
• Support operation team to identify, coach and implement quality and ingrain into processes
• Track and trend key performance indicator ownership for both field failures performance and internal quality performance
• Drive for efficient and effective CAPA closure throughout the site
• Liaise with technical and the supplier quality team as part of supplier failures affecting internal / external product failure
• Supporting NPI activities with regular audit, conducting risk assessments and suggest continuous improvements
• Producing detailed customer facing Quality reports and present as required
• Experience in Product Quality Improvement, theory and practice
• Able to interpret field failures and provide internal solutions to rectify
• Lead and influence cross-functional teams to improve product quality within the process
• Core quality tools such as 8D, Gauge R&R, MSA
• Personable skills; able to negotiate and influence others
• Strong leadership skills as a Product Quality representative
• Good technical understanding of electronic products
• SPC and Six Sigma trained, preferably green belt or higher
• Can interrogate database using SQL code
• Knowledge of APQP, control plan and FMEA
• Knowledge of SAP
• Bespoke programs: JIRA and Confluence
• Knowledge of ISO9000
• Hands on experience of laser fibre technology would be helpful but is not essential
• HNC / HND / Degree level in a relevant area preferred (such as quality, manufacturing, engineering)
• Quality Engineering / Six Sigma qualification advantageous
• Hands-on with creative and practical approach to problem solving and the ability to translate problems into working solutions. Is logical & methodical and a proven ability to question others.
• Has the ability to coaching others in quality improvement techniques, including fault finding
• Ability to work across multiple tasks methodically and efficiently, with good prioritisation
• Ability to understand and influence complex processes
• Negotiation and Influencing skills
• Self-Starter with the ability to prioritise
• Strong communicator, able to pull cross-functional teams together
• Travel will be required between our production sites in Southampton and Rugby for first 12 months.
To apply please send an MS Word formatted version of your CV across for our review and consideration.